Where we are
St Mary’s – Greyfriars’ Church of Scotland, 1 St Mary’s Street, Dumfries DG1 1HA
Charity Number SCO09432
Interim Moderator: Rev Fiona Wilson Telephone 01556 610708
Locum: Rev. Douglas Irving Telephone 01556 610156
Principal Office Bearers
Session Clerk: Ms Anne Mackie Telephone 01387 266186
Treasurer: Mr Rod Williamson
Roll Keeper: Mrs Marion Bennett
Regular Times of Worship
Sunday morning worship is held in the church at 11.30am.
Mission and Ministry
St Mary’s-Greyfriars’ has adopted the following mission promise, to reflect our beliefs:
- We will live as disciples to grow and go in faith, hope and love; our Father’s gifts from above.
- We will act local with a heart for the global, journeying together as one, committed to Jesus the Son.
- We will serve to enable friends round a table, filled from the Spirit’s care, sharing His gifts everywhere.
The mission promise was developed after biblical reflection. More details – and the next steps can be found on our web site.
Sunday worship is at the centre of our church life. Most of our services follow a traditional Church of Scotland pattern. There are two Communions each year, held on the last Sunday in April and October.
The high ground on which the church stands was once the site of a small chapel erected by King Robert Bruce in memory of his brother in law Sir Chrystell Seton, and dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The ruins of this chapel remained in evidence till about 1715 when it disappeared. All that now remains is the small pillar at the top of the steps from the street, constructed from stones from the original building.
The foundation stone of the present church was laid on May 24th 1837, constructed for the sum of £2520 and opened on 17th November 1839. It contains a fine pipe organ built by Harrison and Harrison of Durham in 1884, and a large stained-glass window at the east end, erected in December 1896 in memory of Sir James Anderson Kt. who captained the steamship “Great Eastern”, (designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel), which laid the first successful transatlantic telegraph cable in 1866. Inside the church, a light ambience is achieved with tall side windows and a high, vaulted timber ceiling and round gallery area. The chancel area was completely refurbished in autumn 2005, with the pulpit height reduced: the font resited: new choir chairs added; and a raised platform carpeted throughout. Wheelchair/buggy access was also provided and a spacious “all abilities” toilet created.
Across the street there is an excellent, recently refurbished church hall, built around 1900 thanks to the efforts of the Minister Rev Alexander Chapman, who together with other members of the congregation, organised a series of fund raising activities. He was also responsible for the formation on November 23rd 1886, of the St Mary’s Woman’s Guild, now known as The Guild.
Formation of St Mary’s – Greyfriars’
The Greyfriars’ Church was the building at the end of the High Street in town centre adjacent to Robert Burns’ Monument. This building has since been purchased from the Church of Scotland and the former congregation combined with St Mary’s.
St Mary’s – Greyfriars’ Church of Scotland, Dumfries, is a charity registered in Scotland No: SC009432.