Where we are
Saint Bride’s Anglican Church, Church Crescent, Dumfries DG1 1DU
Charity Number SC040685
The Rector and Trustees of the Congregation can be contacted by email on Dumfriesanglican@gmail.com or by post: The Parish Office, 92 Whitesands, Dumfries, DG1 2RX.
Mass every Sunday at 11.30hrs: for details of daily Masses and Masses for major Festivals, please see our website and Facebook page. Times will also be posted every week on our noticeboard outside the church.
Mission and Ministry
We, the congregation dedicated to Saint Bride, and worshipping in Greyfriars Church, Dumfries, are part of the one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. We affirm the Faith of the Church as revealed in Scripture and Tradition. We work as part of the Scottish Anglican Network: http://scottishanglican.net/
We proclaim our faith through the Creeds, the Sacraments and the apostolic ministry of bishops and priests of the Universal Church. We seek a guaranteed ecclesial structure in which we can pass the faith onto our children and grandchildren.
When the New Religion doctrines of the Ordination of women to the priesthood/epsicopate and Lay celebration of the Sacraments were adopted by the Scottish Episcopal Church, no provision was made for those who wished to adhere to the historic faith of the Church. At St Bride’s, the worship is traditional and is conducted by validly and regularly ordained male Anglican priests according to traditional rites.
All are welcome at our worship. If you are a baptised Christian and wish to receive communion, please speak to the Priest prior to the service. We do not operate a policy of open communion.
The New Church
On behalf of the people of the town of Dumfries, the Provost and Council purchased the castle of the Maxwells from Lord Nithsdale and built a new church in 1727 (on the site of the present Greyfriars Church). It was to be called the New Church, but the name did not last long. The collective memory of better times prevailed, and the people of the town named the church Greyfriars. The building cost £1,970 Scots, being the sum raised by the Provost and Council by imposing a tax on all beer brewed in the town. Greyfriars was the Burgh Church of Dumfries from 1727 and remains the Burgh Church today. The Provost’s throne and Bailies’ Chairs are to be found in the church.
Greyfriars Old Church
By the 1860s the New Church had fallen into disrepair and a decision was taken to clear the site and build anew. The present church was designed by John Starforth in fashionable neo-Gothic style and completed in 1868. Newly hewn sandstone from Locharbriggs Quarry was used in the construction along with stone from the castle, the convent and the New Church. A carving of the head of Saint Peter that had survived from the original convent can be seen on the staircase wall of the present church. An organ was installed in the South Gallery in 1873. The town bell that hangs in the tower was cast by William Evans of Chepstow in 1744.
In 2004, the Church of Scotland closed Greyfriars as a place of worship. The property was put up for sale in 2008 and bought by a registered charity founded by a descendant of the Provost who had first inspired the building of the New Church. The church was rededicated to Saint Bride and re-opened for regular worship on Saint Andrew’s Day, 2008.
The Burgh Church today
As the first church of the Convent of the Grey Friars ministered to the spiritual needs of the people of the town of Dumfries, so it is the intention of the present congregation that the church of Greyfriars should remain available to the people of the town for Christian worship. The bell rings out at least four times each day: morning, midday and evening to remind us all of the wonder of the Incarnation of Our Lord Jesus Christ, and just before eight o’clock to call the Curfew.
As part of the 10th anniversary celebrations of the present congregation in 2018, three new Quarter Bells were installed in the tower. The bells were cast by Gilletts in 1887 for the stables of the home of Lord Lovelace at Torridon. The bells and clock are maintained by the congregation.