Where we are
Maxwelltown West Church of Scotland, Laurieknowe, Dumfries DG2 7AH
Postal Address – Rosemount Street, Dumfries, DG2 7AG
Charity Number SCO 15925
Minister: Rev Sally Russell (Interim Moderator) Tel 01556 503645
Locum: David B Matheson Tel 01387 252042
Principal Office Bearers
Session Clerk: Mr Andrew H.R. Crossan
Clerk to Deacons’ Court: Miss P Jardine
Treasurer: Mrs A Allan
Website – www.maxwelltownwest.org.uk
Regular times of worship
11 am every Sunday
Our mission and ministry
Maxwelltown West Church seeks to be a place of welcome to all in our parish – a centre of Christian worship and fellowship. We seek to provide a framework for family life and a place where young people may be nurtured in Christian values.
Sunday worship is at the centre of our church life. Most of our services follow a traditional Church of Scotland pattern. Family Services are held on a regular basis in which children and young people and our Praise Group are involved Tea and coffee is available in the hall after morning service every Sunday except for Communion Sundays when it is served after the afternoon service.
There are four Communions each year, and two less formal Communion services. For children, our Sunday Club (ages 3-11) meets during service times, the children coming into church for the first part of the service.
Max West has a strong tradition of Scouting and Guiding (Scouts, Cubs, Guides, Brownies), and the Riverside Explorers (senior Scouts/Guides serving the whole of Dumfries) also meet in our halls. Uniformed parades are a feature of Thinking Day and Remembrance Sunday services.
There is a Guild branch, After Eights (for women), Good Companions (for senior members), Messy Church and a Badminton Club.
Our congregation began in 1843 as Maxwelltown Free Church, meeting from 1844 in a building (which still stands) at North Laurieknowe. The present building, designed by James Barbour, was opened in 1866. The union of the Free Church and the United Presbyterian Church in 1900 brought a change of name, to Maxwelltown United Free Church, and in 1929, when the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland were re-united, our congregation became Maxwelltown West Parish Church. The War Memorial gates at the front of the church were originally sited across the road at Laurieknowe Church, and were moved to their present position in 1999.
Building and facilities
The Church is an attractive Victorian Free Church design with a central pulpit and a gallery on three sides. Music is provided by a pipe organ, supplemented during Family Services by other musicians. There are two well-equipped halls, one of them with a badminton court, as well as a smaller hall, a Committee Room, and recently refurbished kitchen and toilets. Disabled access is available from Rosemount Street and there is a separate disabled toilet. On-street parking is available on Rosemount Street and Hill Street.