Maxwelltown West Church of Scotland
Where we are
Maxwelltown West Church of Scotland, Laurieknowe, Dumfries DG2 7AH
Postal Address – Rosemount Street, Dumfries, DG2 7AG
Charity Number SCO 15925
Minister: Rev David Sutherland (Tel 01387 247538) e-mail – DSutherland@churchofscotland.org.uk
Principal Office Bearers
Session Clerk: Mr Andrew H.R. Crossan
Clerk to Deacons’ Court: Mrs Joan Wood
Treasurer: Mrs Linda Hyles
Website – www.maxwelltownwest.org.uk
Regular times of worship
11 am every Sunday (except mid-June to late August when the time is 10 am)
Visitors from Africa
Our mission and ministry
Maxwelltown West Church seeks to be a place of welcome to all in our parish – a centre of Christian worship and fellowship. We seek to provide a framework for family life and a place where young people may be nurtured in Christian values.
Sunday worship is at the centre of our church life. Most of our services follow a traditional Church of Scotland pattern. One service each month (except in July) is a Family Service in which children and young people are involved in readings, drama, prayers, etc, and our Praise Group sings. For about 10 weeks in the summer the service time changes to 10 am and the service is more informal, followed by tea/coffee in the hall (which we also have at Family Services).
There are four “card” Communions each year, and two less formal Communion services. For children, K-Max and J-Max (ages 3-7 and 8-11) meet during service times, the children coming into church for the first part of the service; while children aged 12+ have Y-Max meeting at the Manse on Sunday evenings.
Max West has a strong tradition of Scouting and Guiding (Scouts, Cubs, Beavers, Guides, Brownies), and the Riverside Explorers (senior Scouts/Guides serving the whole of Dumfries) also meet in our halls. Uniformed parades are a feature of Thinking Day and Remembrance Sunday services.
There is a Guild branch, After Eights (for women), Good Companions (for senior members), Badminton and Ladies’ Badminton Clubs.
Our congregation began in 1843 as Maxwelltown Free Church, meeting from 1844 in a building (which still stands) at North Laurieknowe. The present building, designed by James Barbour, was opened in 1866. The union of the Free Church and the United Presbyterian Church in 1900 brought a change of name, to Maxwelltown United Free Church, and in 1929, when the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland were re-united, our congregation became Maxwelltown West Parish Church. The War Memorial gates at the front of the church were originally sited across the road at Laurieknowe Church, and were moved to their present position in 1999.
Building and facilities
The Church is an attractive Victorian Free Church design with a central pulpit and a gallery on three sides. Music is provided by a pipe organ, supplemented during Family Services by other musicians. There are two well-equipped halls, one of them with a badminton court, as well as a smaller hall, a Committee Room, and recently refurbished kitchen and toilets. Disabled access is available from Rosemount Street and there is a separate disabled toilet. On-street parking is available on Rosemount Street and Hill Street.